Is your afternoon chaotic?
The bell rings and it is now time for your school age kids to come home. Do you have an afternoon and Dinner Routine?
Afternoons are always hectic, I work 4 days a week til 5pm so it makes it hard to establish a routine. I am lucky enough that I have a great support network. Some days hubby will pick Mr 5 up from school and other days my sister will pick him up.
On the days that Mr 5 is picked up by hubby we have set up the below routine. This allows for a snack (if he doesn’t eat us out of home from being starving from his school day), some play and quiet time, home work (at this stage we just get him to do some colouring or work on his writing) and also get him to put his bag away, get changed and shoes away.
Dinner we usually aim to eat between 5.30 and 6.00pm. This is pre-determined when I do our weekly menu plan. If you are after tips and ideas for meal planning check out my post about Finding Time for Menu Planning. The kids help to get cups, cutlery and plates out and if need be clear the kitchen table.
Tips to set up an Afternoon Routine include;
Every house hold will be different depending on the age of the children.
- Have a designated area for the kids to place their shoes, bags and have them unpack their bags straight away. This will mean no notes being left in bags and no mouldy sandwiches YUK
- If you child has a school uniform get them to change as this will help with the transition between school and home time.
- Have a snack ready as soon they come home. All that learning is hungry work.
- If they have homework have a zone that they can do this. I have some textas and a kindergarten work book on the kitchen table ready to go.
- Play time. This is needed to both help them wind down and to burn off any energy they may have.
- Some quiet time may also be required so having an ipad/tablet or some tv or some colouring may be a good idea.
- If they are older they can have a list of chores that need to be completed in the afternoon. Examples include clean table, set up table for dinner or even help cook dinner.
I have included the afternoon/ dinner routine in the VIP folder which you can access by joining here. Also pop on over to my Pinterest or Facebook pages.
Id love to hear your afternoon routines, please leave a comment below.
Also check out the following posts that relate to setting up routines
Have fun setting up your routines