What are Essential Oils?
Have you ever smelt a Rose, a Lavender bush, Geranium or Lemongrass? If you answer Yes, then you have experienced the therapeutic benefits of essential oils. Our sense of smell can influence our state of mind, mood, cognitive function and health.
Essential Oils are the fragrant, highly concentrated natural constituents that are found in the seeds, stems, roots, bark, flowers and other parts of plants. Essential oils are the plants natural defense against pests such as insects and disease.
History of Essential Oils.
Essential oils have been used by many cultures for thousands of years. There are references dating as far back as 4500 B.C. Ancient civilizations including the Greeks, Egyptians and Romans used aromatics, incense and ointments. It is said that Egyptians were the first to use essential oils in their practice, beauty recipes, religious ceremonies and preservation. Essential oils were found in the tombs of the Pharaohs, such as King Tutankhamen.
There are 188 references to essential oils in the Bible. Frankincense and myrrh were given to the baby Jesus.
Chinese practitioners, Sharman and Persian doctors developed how to concentrate essential oils. And ever since essential oils have been used throughout history from holy practices to promoting wellbeing.
How are Essential Oils Extracted?
Essential oils are extracted by many methods.
- Distillation is where raw plant material, consisting of the flower, leaves, wood, bark, roots, seeds or peel, is placed into a distillation apparatus over water. As the water is heated, steam passes through the plant material, vapourising the volatile compounds. The vapours then flow through a coil where they condense back to a liquid and are collected.The most common essential oils that are distilled are lavender, peppermint, eucalyptus and tea tree.
- Expression is used to make essential oils such as lemon, orange and lime. They are extracted under mechanical pressure.
- Solvent extraction is used on most flowers are they only contain a small amount of volatile oil. And can be damaged if extracted by high heat or mechanical means. A solvent is used to extract the oil.
After extraction the result is a highly concentrated liquid which contains the aroma and therapeutic properties of the plant of which it came from.
Did you know it takes 75 lemons to make 1 x 15ml bottle of lemon essential oil. 27 square feet of lavender plants to make 1 x 15ml bottle of lavender essential oil. 450 grams of peppermint to make 1 x 15ml bottle of peppermint oil. Rose takes 22 pounds of rose petals to make 1 x 5ml bottle of rose oil.
Why I use Essential Oils?
I have always had an interest of aromatherapy and essential oils and I dabbled with a few oils here and there but nothing too serious. I really had no idea the power that these little bottles of oils had.
About 6 months ago I was talking to a friend and she had mentioned she was using essential oils. This sparked my interest again and I wanted something to help relax and unwind the kids and myself at the end of the day. Hubby also wanted something to help him stay focus at work.
I still didn’t really know the full potential of essential oils and after doing a heap of research I decided to sign up with Young Living.
I use oils for cleaning, relaxation, flavouring food and water, for winter and oils as a natural first aid kit.
My favourites would be lavender, peppermint, lemon, citrus fresh, vetiver, thieves and panaway. And my collection is forever growing.
I love mixing lavender and cedarwood into a roller bottle and use on the family to help to relax.
Peace and calming is just divine to smell and I diffuse this most nights during the witching hour for a relaxing home and try and calm the kids down.
Thieves I diffuser during winter, around the house and in my cleaning products.
I have so many oils and love them all.
How to use Essential Oils?
Always follow label instructions
- Rub 2-3 drops of essential oils between your palms and inhale
- Add a few drops of essential oils to a bowl of hot water. Cover your head and the bowl with a towel and breathe deeply and slowly.
- Use your favourite essential oils in a diffuser to bring nature’s aromas into your home or workplace
- Rub 2-3 drops of essential oils directly on the desired area and massage in. Always follow directions as some oils will need to be diluted before applying. Also some oils are photosensitive and once applied need to be kept out of direct sunlight for up to 12 hours.
- Add 1-2 drops as desired to your favourite recipes and beverages. Please read labels and only use oils that have indicated that are suitable for flavouring.
Why Young Living?
I chose Young Living after many hours of research to find an essential oil company to trust my family’s health with. Young Living has been around for more than 20 years and they set the standard for essential oil purity and potency. At the heart of their promise is Seed to Seal, a propriety process that focuses on the five most important requirements for producing authentic essential oils.
Seed to Seal – what sets Young Living essential oils apart?
- SEED – Potent essential oils come from plant species that have been authenticated by Young Living and industry experts through scientific research, field study, university partnerships, and on-site planting certification. Selecting seeds that produce the highest value is a vital first step in our Seed to Seal process.
- CULTIVATE – Young Living’s knowledge ofsoil preparation, balance of sun and water, responsible weed and pest control, and wild craft harvesting ensure that stringent standards are met, both on our own farms as well as with our carefully monitored partner farms. We continue to conduct research and remain dedicated to growing the highest quality aromatic plants.
- DISTILL – Combining ancient and modern techniques, Young Living’s low-pressure steam distillation process ensures that the beneficial plant compounds in each batch of essential oil remain uncompromised. This step is completed at just the right time to ensure all beneficial constituents are present to maximize the quality of the oil. Additionally, we use tree resin hydro distillation for select oils and cold pressing techniques for most of our citrus essential oils.
- TEST – Young Living never accepts diluted, cut, or adulterated essential oils. To guarantee consistent quality, our essential oils are tested in our own internal labs, as well as in third-party facilities, to ensure that they meet demanding specifications, exceed international standards, and contain the optimal levels of natural bioactive molecules.
- SEAL – We complete our Seed to Seal process by carefully sealing and inspecting each bottle of essential oil at our 107,000-square-foot state-of-the-art clean-room facility and then shipping to members worldwide. Individual bottle labels are encoded with detailed tracking information that allows Young Living to trace each bottle of essential oil back to its source.
How to get started with Young Living?
Firstly you will need to decide if you would like to purchase Young Living essential oils and products at the retail or wholesale prices. Retail would suit if you would like to try one or two products. Wholesale will give you a 24% discount on all products.
To access the wholesale prices all you need to do is sign up as a member. There is no minimum order, all orders are at the whole sale price and no monthly order requirement. Products can be used for personal use and there is no requirement to sell the product (unless you want to). You are free to share the products with your family and friend.
The only requirement to maintain your wholesale account is to order at least once each 12 months with a 50 pv (points) order which is approximately $80 Australian Dollars or $50 US Dollars. Your account will be closed if you do not order at least once per year.
How to sign up?
Sign up Process
- Click over to the sign up page.
- Select “Sign up as a Young Living Wholesale Member
- The Enroller ID and Sponsor ID should be completed (ID – 4017434)
- Complete your name, billing address, shipping address and contact info.
- Create your Password which you will use to log in to your account and order your oils.
- Select your enrolment kit order. This is where you can specify which starter kit you would like to start with. I recommend one of the Premium Starter Kits. You must sign up with a starter kit to gain your wholesale account.
- Agree to the Terms & Conditions.
- Confirm your order. This will log you in to your account and ask for payment information.
Congratulations. Welcome to your new oily life. Please send me an email here to let me know you have joined up. I can then send you a welcome letter and join you to our teams Facebook group.
Disclaimer – this post may contain affiliate links.
This info is for learning purposes only. I’m not a doctor, just simply sharing what has worked for my family. Please consult a health care practitioner when making any changes to your medical routine. This information is not meant to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. Please also take care with children under 2 years of age. Some essential oils can be applied neat and some require dilution. Please read the label and take all practical precautions.